The "Once Upon A Time" + Woodsy + Hollywood Regency Nursery

Thursday, March 15, 2012

It's hard to believe that I've gone from single, to married, to mother, now to mother of TWO! I've been so busy, but somehow with all of these things going on, I just cannot wait to put up our son's nursery.  Originally, I was going to go with a clean black and white striped, nautical vibe with blue accents.  However, I got inspired by a GORGEOUS lamp I saw at Home Goods (my all time favorite place to shop for home treasures).  Here's what the new inspiration for the nursery is:


I like to call it the "Once Upon a Time Lamp".

I love that show "Once Upon a Time" and the birch tree cut out on the lamp shade reminded me of the gorgeous wallpaper from the mayor's office in the show.


So, with this in mind, I have decided to still go for a Black & White themed nursery, but with a more playful, woodsy vibe with a pop of color, and some old Hollywood Regency inspired pieces because I just love the details those 1930's furniture pieces have that we just don't have in our mass produced market any longer.  Plus those Dorothy Drapers are really making a come back in to the design world as Hollywood Glamour with a modern twist is still quite poplar.  It's definitely a great way to mix vintage and somewhat borderline-tacky pieces and have them live in harmony with each other... and what better room to play around with this thought than a child's nursery for a few different reasons:

1. Since nurseries are already strongly themed, why not play around with the bolder graphics, tacky pieces, and exaggerated repetitive theme?? It's a great excuse to finally spray paint that hideous old brass owl a glossy white! You'll love it!

2.  Although the room is somewhat playful, it is also very chic.  It's great because it gives you something to look at while you rock your baby away for hours at a time in there.  Just because it's a nursery doesn't mean it has to be painted a pastel color and decked out with wall decals of cartoon animals on the walls...it can be something that they can also grow into...and they do grow fast!

3. Since babies are really drawn to bolder color combinations as their eyes adjust to the world around them - what better than to create a room with bold stripes and highly contrasted pieces to keep them interested!

So, here's what I had in mind...it looks a bit crazy, but there has to be some balance in the way it will all come together in the room.  I can't wait to show you what I got (or made) and how it all turns out!!! 

Stay tuned.....

Ryker Keane's Nursery

Subscribe to my blog or follow me. I'd love to have you come along!! ;)
Cheers!
Kathy

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips